16 Dec These are Important IRS Deadlines for 2012 US Federal Tax Returns
January 22, 2013
- IRS will begin processing 2012 returns at 9am EST.
April 15, 2013
- Deadline for filing a 2012 tax return or extension.
- The return or extension must be postmarked or transmitted for e-filing by Monday, April 15, 2013.
- Note that to avoid late payment penalties and interest, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension. I know it sounds weird, but those are the rules.
April 19, 2013
- Deadline for resubmitting or mailing a previously rejected e-filed federal return that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline if you did not file an extension.
- Deadline for resubmitting or mailing a previously rejected extension that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline.
October 15, 2013
- Final deadline to mail or e-file your 2012 tax return.
October 19, 2013
- Final deadline to resubmit a rejected 2012 return that was originally e-filed on or before October 15.